Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Welcome to my creative outlet.......and welcome to winter.

It's that time of year in Chicago when sailing seems very far from our minds. My fingers are still feeling the gentle throbbing pain that follows warming up from extreme cold. I have just returned from the boat yard. The second snow fall of the year this morning reminded me that I really should get the covers on Penny. As the breath from my nostrils steamed, and my fingers numbed tying lines from an uncooperative tarpaulin to the jack-stands below, I was reminded of that famous quote.... "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing-- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"

If one has not caught "The Bug" the logic of this sentiment only makes sense at certain times of the year...mainly the sunny ones. The 4th of July, for example, sitting on my private front row seat watching the fireworks leave Navy Pier, or whilst slipping gently through the water pushed by a warm breeze enjoying the sun dipping below the Chicago skyline beyond. This afternoon, however,  I would bet what little I have that the guests who were happy to enjoy the Air and Water show might not have accepted an invite to hang out.  It was cold, the covers were offering more resistance than seems reasonable for a thin sheet of blue plastic, and the comfort level of the boat was completely removed, her usual gently rocking blue seat replaced by the stiffness of concrete and steel. 

Poor old girl, ready for winter.












And yet, there I was. Nursing my pride and joy into her PJ's, tucking her in for her winter slumber. "Messing around in boats" means so much more to me than that perfect Summer Sunday afternoon sail. (Try saying that three times fast!!) It is an all encompassing passion. There is so much written about the wonders of cruising far off distant shores, and sampling new countries and cultures form the sanctity of one's floating home...and I love that. I've just returned from cruising the BVI for short time, and I'm all in favor of the distant shores...but what about here? What about the massive, vibrant, and tradition-rich community of sailors right here in my own back yard? There is so much more to sailing in this region than simply popping down to the harbor for a sundowner. There is also much more to owning a boat than cruising the shore with a cocktail in hand and bikini clad lovelies adorning the foredeck. 

This is going to be warts and all...and I'd love to say more "all" and less "warts" but looking at the list of projects I have next spring...I can't promise anything!!

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

J


Those of you who know me, know I keep a video diary, and I also run and mediate the "Sail Chicago" Facebook group. Please feel free to join/follow both of these if you wish.

Video Diary

Sail Chicago Facebook Group

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! It's a great creative outlet and heaps of fun. I've added you to our list of sailing blogs on our site and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts and following along. Cheers - Ellen | thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete